Competency: Basic Global Buying
Are you responsible for increasing your organization's international procurement and don't know where to begin?
International procurement is a challenge. Buying internationally is much more complex than buying domestically.
Buying internationally involves having to expand your knowledge of many aspects of procurement that you don't have to worry
about when buying domestically. Differences in cultures, laws, communications, currencies, and more have to be understood
to support international procurement. And if you don't have a good foundation, your international procurement efforts will have a
higher probability of failing.
But the good news is that the details of successful international procurement don't have to be a mystery.
Our highly personal and interactive online course "Basics of Smart International Procurement" will teach you the critical things
every purchasing professional needs to know before buying from foreign suppliers!
You will learn:
- How to assess the cultural differences that you may experience with suppliers from different parts
of the world
- 7 key characteristics of cultural differences that you need to know to avoid any unpleasant surprises from your suppliers
- How to determine whether international suppliers might be withholding bad news from you
- How international suppliers differ in the importance they place on personal relationships
- How the importance of contracts will differ among international suppliers
- When you might face one of the worst shocks - an international supplier's request to renegotiate a contract
- 5 critical clauses that should be included in every international procurement contract
- 6 principles for writing contract language that is clear and ideally suited for international procurement situations
- Tips for reducing intellectual property risks
- How to handle communication when you and your supplier have different native languages
- Little known facts for reducing communication misunderstandings with foreign suppliers, including the use of jokes, hand gestures, and written communications
- How exchange rates get factored into international procurement transactions
- How to calculate currency conversions
- Currency risks associated with international procurement transactions
- How hedging tools like forward contracts and options are used to protect buying organizations from cost increases
- 3 ways that products are services are priced and a currency strategy for each
- The increased significance of accurate forecasts in international transactions and how poor forecasts impact cost
- A risk sharing formula that truly distributes risk equally between a buyer and a foreign supplier
How this online course works
- You can start this on-demand course any time after you enroll; there's no pre-scheduled start date!
- You progress through the course at your own pace, accessing easy-to-understand reading material, exciting exercises, optional multimedia, quizzes, and even a fun mid-term game!
- You will have access to a friendly, expert instructor for any questions you may have!
- You will learn best practices and processes designed so that you can apply your new skills in the real world!
To learn more about how full-length online procurement courses|
from the Next Level Purchasing Association work, click on the short video below.
What are others saying about this course?
||"I've learned a bit with each class but all of the material presented in this class was new to me so I learned a great deal. I'm in talks now with a company that does much of its business overseas and this class will prove to be invaluable. All of the courses have been great. I anxiously await the next one!"
Karen M Bushnell, MBA, SPSM
Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Ready to enroll?
but have a few questions?
If you enroll in "Basics of Smart International Procurement" on or before July 31, 2014, you will receive all of these bonuses:
- Certificate of Completion! This purchasing certificate is sent to you by postal mail and is suitable for framing.
- FREE printer-friendly, PDF version of the class material
- FREE Purchasing Performance Measurement spreadsheet template
|For immediate assistance, call our office at |
+1 (412) 294-1990 and speak with a member of the NLPA Team, Monday through Friday from 8AM to 5PM Eastern US Time.
|Click on the button below to submit your questions electronically and a member of the NLPA team will contact you within one business day.