Procurement Interview: Questions & Stories
How Will You Ace Your Next Procurement Interview?
PurchTips Edition #262 Click here for the printer-friendly version
When you get an interview for a procurement job, what you say to the hiring manager determines whether you will get the job or not. Therefore, you should prepare to align your dialogue with what you want to accomplish in the interview.
What you want to accomplish includes demonstrating: (a) that you can handle the challenges of the workplace, (b) that you are smart enough for the job, and (c) that you will care about making a positive difference if you are hired. Two of the most effective ways to demonstrate these things are to tell real-life success stories of yours and to ask thoughtful questions.
For your success stories, prepare them in advance and use them in the context of the conversation. For example, if the hiring manager says “Tell me about a time when you succeeded in bringing a difficult negotiation to a positive conclusion,” you can tell a true success story of yours on that topic. The keys are to anticipate what topics will come up and, if and when they do, to have several stories ready in your mind.
Other topics for success stories can include examples of:
- How you dealt with a supplier who said a critical shipment would be late
- How you satisfied an irate internal customer
- How you took initiative to improve your skills
Questions you may want to consider asking the hiring manager include:
- How would my performance be measured?
- What skills do you need the successful candidate to have?
- What are your biggest challenges in the department?
- By hiring the right person for this position, what results would really make you happy?
- How do you think that members of the department describe the work environment here?
- What type of person would fit in best with the culture of the department?
By using success stories and good questions, you can increase your chances of acing your interview and getting a better procurement job!
Want to get more procurement articles by email for free?
Members of the NLPA get great articles just like this by email every month. As a member, you will also get access to:
- The Procurement Training & Certification Starter Kit
- The latest Purchasing & Supply Management Salaries Report
- Leading-Edge Supply Management™ magazine
- Members-only webinars 10x per year
- And more!
And the best part is that membership in the NLPA is Free! Sign up today and you'll receive a username and password that will allow you to access all of the benefits that come with the NLPA membership.
Copyright 2012. This article is the property of the Next Level Purchasing Association and may not be copied or republished in any form without the express written consent of the Next Level Purchasing Association. Click here to request republishing permission.
By Charles Dominick, SPSM, SPSM2, SPSM3