I hope that you have enjoyed the article “10 Step Procurement Transformation, Part I.” Part II is due to come out in about six weeks with a couple of PurchTips articles on other topics in the interim.
In step 1 – Define the Scope of the Procurement Transformation – I asked: “What is going to be different a year from now? Your organizational structure? The technology used? The supply base? What else?”
Let me use this blog post to give you some additional ideas on “what else” you should be evaluating as part of your procurement transformation efforts:
- Size of staff
- Staff members
- Degree of centralization/decentralization
- Support from other departments (e.g., Legal)
- The stage in which Procurement gets involved in the design cycle
- Who Procurement reports to
- Purchasing job descriptions
- Outside support (e.g., consultants, benchmarking firms, BPO, etc.)
- Degree of globalization
And these additional variables are still but a few of the many possibilities.