Priorities In Supply Chain Leadership
PurchTips edition #230
How Good Is Your Supply Chain Leadership?
There are countless characteristics that distinguish good supply chain leadership from bad supply chain leadership. One of those is how the supply chain leader positions the department's priorities.
How do you know if a supply chain leader has properly positioned priorities? Here are four indicators. . .
- Priorities are documented. A well-led supply chain department will have its priorities documented, sorted in order of importance, and made visible to the supply chain team. Is Six Sigma quality more important than low prices? Does on-time delivery matter more than good service? Documented priorities ensure that the supply chain team is not left guessing.
- Performance is measured. A well-led supply chain department measures performance for its top priorities and constantly improves its numbers.
- Senior management's expectations are understood. A well-led supply chain department understands how senior management defines supply chain success and aligns all of its activities - including the aforementioned measurements - with the expectations of senior management.
- A priority-based culture is in place. Having a priority-based culture means making the top priority apparent to all who interact with and within the supply chain team - from internal customers to suppliers to team members themselves. This involves integrating reminders into the daily environment by dedicating meetings to the top priority topic, displaying performance charts for the top priority, having a priority-based tag line in the email signatures of supply chain team members, etc.
Do You Want a More Rewarding Procurement Career?
Are you tired of not getting enough opportunities, respect, and money out of your procurement career? Well, guess what? Nothing will change unless you take action towards becoming a world-class procurement professional.
Earning your SPSM® Certification is the action to take if you want to bring the most modern procurement practices into your organization and achieve your career potential. Download the SPSM® Certification Guide today to learn how to get started on your journey to a more rewarding procurement career!
Need Better Performance From Your Procurement Team?
Are you a procurement leader whose team isn't achieving the results you know are possible? Maybe it's not enough cost savings. Or frustrating performance from the supply base. Or dissatisfied internal customers.
You need a performance improvement plan that's easy to implement and quick to produce results. The NLPA can help.
Download our whitepaper "The Procurement Leader's Guide To A More Successful Team." You'll learn the 7 steps for transforming your staff into a results-producing, world-class procurement team.
Are You Getting The Most Out of Your NLPA Membership?
Members of the NLPA get more than just articles like this by email. As a member, you also get access to:
- The Procurement Training & Certification Starter Kit
- The latest Purchasing & Supply Management Salaries Report
- Leading-Edge Supply Management™ magazine
- Members-only webinars 10x per year
- And more!
If you haven't been taking advantage of these benefits, why not log in and start now?
Copyright 2011. This article is the property of Next Level Purchasing and may not be copied or republished in any form without the express written consent of Next Level Purchasing.
Click here to request republishing permission.