How Suppliers Defend Price In Negotiations
PurchTips edition #261
By Charles Dominick, SPSM, SPSM2, SPSM3
Have You Heard These Supplier Price Defenses?
"You have to reduce your price." If you've been in procurement for any decent length of time, you've probably said this to dozens or hundreds of supplier salespeople.
Less experienced salespeople will often panic and give in to your demands. Smart salespeople know that you are "just doing your job" and will have a prepared response. This response usually will use tactics to defend the supplier's price, delay the negotiation to put pressure back on you, or distract you from negotiating.
If you are aware of these tactics, you can understand that salespeople are "just doing their job" of trying to maximize the price. Then, of course, you can persist in trying to overcome their tactics with more negotiation.
Today's edition of PurchTips will introduce you to several common responses that salespeople may use in negotiations against you. Understand that actual words will vary, but essentially communicate the same thing. Instead of telling you what to do when you hear these, I want to encourage you take a few moments to really think through how you can respond effectively.
- "I know my price is lower than the competition's, so I don't have to change my price to be the best deal available."
- "You're not comparing apples to apples - our product/service is different and more valuable than the competition's."
- "We are the only company that provides this product/service, so we don't play pricing games - our price is our price."
- "We already factored a discount into the price we proposed."
- "I'll have to get back to you after checking with my management because I don't have the authority to offer you a lower price."
- "Is price the only criterion on which you are basing your decision?"
- "If you can get a lower price elsewhere, remember the old saying, 'You get what you pay for.'"
Do You Want a More Rewarding Procurement Career?
Are you tired of not getting enough opportunities, respect, and money out of your procurement career? Well, guess what? Nothing will change unless you take action towards becoming a world-class procurement professional.
Earning your SPSM® Certification is the action to take if you want to bring the most modern procurement practices into your organization and achieve your career potential. Download the SPSM® Certification Guide today to learn how to get started on your journey to a more rewarding procurement career!
Need Better Performance From Your Procurement Team?
Are you a procurement leader whose team isn't achieving the results you know are possible? Maybe it's not enough cost savings. Or frustrating performance from the supply base. Or dissatisfied internal customers.
You need a performance improvement plan that's easy to implement and quick to produce results. The NLPA can help.
Download our whitepaper "The Procurement Leader's Guide To A More Successful Team." You'll learn the 7 steps for transforming your staff into a results-producing, world-class procurement team.
Are You Getting The Most Out of Your NLPA Membership?
Members of the NLPA get more than just articles like this by email. As a member, you also get access to:
- The Procurement Training & Certification Starter Kit
- The latest Purchasing & Supply Management Salaries Report
- Leading-Edge Supply Management™ magazine
- Members-only webinars 10x per year
- And more!
If you haven't been taking advantage of these benefits, why not log in and start now?
Copyright 2012. This article is the property of Next Level Purchasing and may not be copied or republished in any form without the express written consent of Next Level Purchasing.
Click here to request republishing permission.
This is the Web-based version of this article. Click here for the printer-friendly version.
Other Editions of PurchTips:
|« 260 4 Essential Vendor Collaboration Questions||262 Procurement Interviews: Questions & Stories »|