A 12-Point Supplier Responsibility Checklist
PurchTips edition #313
By Charles Dominick, SPSM, SPSM2, SPSM3
How Socially Responsible Are Your Suppliers?
Supply chain social responsibility could become as important as cost in supplier selection in the next five years. For greater social responsibility in your supply chain, use this 12-point supplier responsibility checklist.
- Investigate a supplier's involvement in human trafficking and, if applicable, ensure that your organization is complying with the California Transparency in Supply Chains Act
- Investigate whether a supplier is using any coerced labor
- Investigate whether a supplier is using any child labor
- Determine the degree of safety of the working conditions at all supplier facilities
- Ensure that the supplier is appropriately limiting the working hours of employees
- Investigate whether the supplier treats all of its employees humanely
- Investigate whether the supplier is being environmentally responsible in all manners
- Confirm the supplier's performance in the reduction of its carbon footprint
- Set and reach supplier diversity goals, being sure to include tier 2 supplier goals and new categories of diverse suppliers such as LGBTBE
- Investigate the likelihood that conflict minerals are in the supply chain of the products your organization makes or sells and, if applicable, ensure that your organization is complying with the Dodd-Frank Act
- Ensure that animal welfare is addressed in procurement decisions, including determining the products you purchase that may be tested on animals
- Ensure that ethical infractions, such as bribery and corruption, are eliminated from your supply chain
Do You Want a More Rewarding Procurement Career?
Are you tired of not getting enough opportunities, respect, and money out of your procurement career? Well, guess what? Nothing will change unless you take action towards becoming a world-class procurement professional.
Earning your SPSM® Certification is the action to take if you want to bring the most modern procurement practices into your organization and achieve your career potential. Download the SPSM® Certification Guide today to learn how to get started on your journey to a more rewarding procurement career!
Need Better Performance From Your Procurement Team?
Are you a procurement leader whose team isn't achieving the results you know are possible? Maybe it's not enough cost savings. Or frustrating performance from the supply base. Or dissatisfied internal customers.
You need a performance improvement plan that's easy to implement and quick to produce results. The NLPA can help.
Download our whitepaper "The Procurement Leader's Guide To A More Successful Team." You'll learn the 7 steps for transforming your staff into a results-producing, world-class procurement team.
Are You Getting The Most Out of Your NLPA Membership?
Members of the NLPA get more than just articles like this by email. As a member, you also get access to:
- The Procurement Training & Certification Starter Kit
- The latest Purchasing & Supply Management Salaries Report
- Leading-Edge Supply Management™ magazine
- Members-only webinars 10x per year
- And more!
If you haven't been taking advantage of these benefits, why not log in and start now?
Copyright 2014. This article is the property of Next Level Purchasing and may not be copied or republished in any form without the express written consent of Next Level Purchasing.
Click here to request republishing permission.