A 12-Point Supplier Quality Checklist
PurchTips edition #259
By Charles Dominick, SPSM, SPSM2, SPSM3
Do You Practice Supplier Quality Management?
Supplier quality is a relative thing: all suppliers have some level of quality, but some are more committed to higher quality than others.
How can you assess the degree of your suppliers' commitment to quality? A thorough assessment requires extensive supply chain quality skills, but the following checklist can get you started. Then, be sure to read on to learn about Next Level Purchasing's new online course that can help you develop the world-class supply chain quality skills required for maximum quality success!
The more of the following characteristics that a supplier has, the more serious that supplier is about quality.
- The supplier measures its quality performance
- The supplier uses parts-per-million (ppm) as its quality unit of measure, not percent defective
- The supplier has quality performance goals
- The supplier has a documented record of continuous quality improvement over several years
- The supplier's quality efforts are focused on preventing defective items from being produced rather than detecting defective items that have already been produced
- The supplier has formalized quality documentation, training programs, and the like to ensure that quality is sustainable through personnel changes
- The supplier knows its standard deviation
- The supplier can demonstrate how it uses tools to determine whether or not its processes are in control
- The supplier has a quality-related certification like ISO9001
- The supplier has implemented a leading quality improvement program like Lean, Six Sigma, or Lean Six Sigma
- The supplier has implemented a quality improvement program with its own suppliers
- The supplier has won a prestigious quality award such as the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award
Do You Want a More Rewarding Procurement Career?
Are you tired of not getting enough opportunities, respect, and money out of your procurement career? Well, guess what? Nothing will change unless you take action towards becoming a world-class procurement professional.
Earning your SPSM® Certification is the action to take if you want to bring the most modern procurement practices into your organization and achieve your career potential. Download the SPSM® Certification Guide today to learn how to get started on your journey to a more rewarding procurement career!
Need Better Performance From Your Procurement Team?
Are you a procurement leader whose team isn't achieving the results you know are possible? Maybe it's not enough cost savings. Or frustrating performance from the supply base. Or dissatisfied internal customers.
You need a performance improvement plan that's easy to implement and quick to produce results. The NLPA can help.
Download our whitepaper "The Procurement Leader's Guide To A More Successful Team." You'll learn the 7 steps for transforming your staff into a results-producing, world-class procurement team.
Are You Getting The Most Out of Your NLPA Membership?
Members of the NLPA get more than just articles like this by email. As a member, you also get access to:
- The Procurement Training & Certification Starter Kit
- The latest Purchasing & Supply Management Salaries Report
- Leading-Edge Supply Management™ magazine
- Members-only webinars 10x per year
- And more!
If you haven't been taking advantage of these benefits, why not log in and start now?
Copyright 2012. This article is the property of Next Level Purchasing and may not be copied or republished in any form without the express written consent of Next Level Purchasing.
Click here to request republishing permission.
This is the Web-based version of this article. Click here for the printer-friendly version.
Other Editions of PurchTips:
|« 258 A Key To Bargaining With Suppliers||260 4 Essential Vendor Collaboration Questions »|