5 Types of Procurement Expertise
PurchTips edition #310
By Charles Dominick, SPSM, SPSM2, SPSM3
Do You Have These Types of Procurement Expertise?
The scope of procurement work has grown to include much more than it did 10, or even five, years ago. There are five areas of expertise that employers seek in their procurement team members.
- Classic Procurement Expertise. Classic procurement expertise means being able to negotiate fantastic deals from suppliers. To analyze spend to identify exactly where savings opportunities are. To collaborate with suppliers to take out cost, improve performance, and gain a competitive advantage.
- Category Expertise. Category expertise refers to thoroughly understanding the nuances of the products and services you are responsible for buying. Knowing what drives cost. Knowing what may constrain supplier capacity. Knowing the technical details necessary to ensure the optimum quality of delivered goods and performed services.
- Interpersonal Expertise. Today's true procurement professionals are not the type of people that sit at a desk and stare at a computer screen the entire day. They inspire internal customers to comply with procurement initiatives. They persuade senior management to give support to procurement strategies and investments. They motivate cross-functional teams to succeed at their projects.
- Industry Expertise. Industry expertise means knowing how other similar organizations operate. What the business cycle is in that industry. What differentiates one competitor from another. And what possibilities there are beyond doing things the way the organization has always done them.
- Organization Expertise. To achieve maximum success in the team environment in business today, procurement professionals need to be familiar with the intricacies of their own organizations. Who are the people whose approval needs to be won? What processes must be followed to avoid bureaucratic delays? And what cultural constraints must be observed so that others don't try to block the path to success?
Do You Want a More Rewarding Procurement Career?
Are you tired of not getting enough opportunities, respect, and money out of your procurement career? Well, guess what? Nothing will change unless you take action towards becoming a world-class procurement professional.
Earning your SPSM® Certification is the action to take if you want to bring the most modern procurement practices into your organization and achieve your career potential. Download the SPSM® Certification Guide today to learn how to get started on your journey to a more rewarding procurement career!
Need Better Performance From Your Procurement Team?
Are you a procurement leader whose team isn't achieving the results you know are possible? Maybe it's not enough cost savings. Or frustrating performance from the supply base. Or dissatisfied internal customers.
You need a performance improvement plan that's easy to implement and quick to produce results. The NLPA can help.
Download our whitepaper "The Procurement Leader's Guide To A More Successful Team." You'll learn the 7 steps for transforming your staff into a results-producing, world-class procurement team.
Are You Getting The Most Out of Your NLPA Membership?
Members of the NLPA get more than just articles like this by email. As a member, you also get access to:
- The Procurement Training & Certification Starter Kit
- The latest Purchasing & Supply Management Salaries Report
- Leading-Edge Supply Management™ magazine
- Members-only webinars 10x per year
- And more!
If you haven't been taking advantage of these benefits, why not log in and start now?
Copyright 2014. This article is the property of Next Level Purchasing and may not be copied or republished in any form without the express written consent of Next Level Purchasing.
Click here to request republishing permission.
This is the Web-based version of this article. Click here for the printer-friendly version.
Other Editions of PurchTips:
|« 309 How To Increase Procurement's Credibility||311 7 Steps For Negotiating Optional Procurements »|