Cultural Aspects of International Sourcing
PurchTips edition #57
How Do You Assess Cultural Differences of Suppliers?
A key to establishing a successful relationship with a supplier in another country is to learn and adapt to the culture of the supplier's country.
Cultural research can be a big job. Where do you begin?
Answer these 15 questions and you'll cover a lot of what's necessary for a positive international relationship.
- Should I address my counterpart by his/her first name or in some other manner?
- How should I greet my counterpart (e.g., by shaking hands, by bowing, etc.)?
- What is important about the way business cards are exchanged?
- Should I give a gift to or expect to receive a gift from my counterpart?
- How close should I stand to my counterpart?
- Should I expect physical contact from my counterpart (e.g., a hand on the shoulder)?
- What comes first: establishing a relationship or working on business matters?
- Should we discuss political or personal matters?
- Which common clichés are not globally understood?
- Are there any common hand gestures in my country that my counterpart may consider offensive?
- Is sharing an entertainment experience important to my counterpart?
- What time should meals start and end?
- Is it acceptable to discuss business during meals?
- What laws will govern our transactions?
- How quickly can I expect my counterpart to make a decision?
Do You Want a More Rewarding Procurement Career?
Are you tired of not getting enough opportunities, respect, and money out of your procurement career? Well, guess what? Nothing will change unless you take action towards becoming a world-class procurement professional.
Earning your SPSM® Certification is the action to take if you want to bring the most modern procurement practices into your organization and achieve your career potential. Download the SPSM® Certification Guide today to learn how to get started on your journey to a more rewarding procurement career!
Need Better Performance From Your Procurement Team?
Are you a procurement leader whose team isn't achieving the results you know are possible? Maybe it's not enough cost savings. Or frustrating performance from the supply base. Or dissatisfied internal customers.
You need a performance improvement plan that's easy to implement and quick to produce results. The NLPA can help.
Download our whitepaper "The Procurement Leader's Guide To A More Successful Team." You'll learn the 7 steps for transforming your staff into a results-producing, world-class procurement team.
Are You Getting The Most Out of Your NLPA Membership?
Members of the NLPA get more than just articles like this by email. As a member, you also get access to:
- The Procurement Training & Certification Starter Kit
- The latest Purchasing & Supply Management Salaries Report
- Leading-Edge Supply Management™ magazine
- Members-only webinars 10x per year
- And more!
If you haven't been taking advantage of these benefits, why not log in and start now?
Copyright 2004. This article is the property of Next Level Purchasing and may not be copied or republished in any form without the express written consent of Next Level Purchasing.
Click here to request republishing permission.