Managing IT & Complex Category Purchasing
PurchTips edition #271
Do You Have A Handle On Your Complex Categories?
Certain complex categories like information technology (IT) products present challenges to purchasing professionals like you. In worst-case scenarios, costs are way too high and supplier performance is poor.
Here are three principles to apply to the purchasing of IT or any similar complex category in order to reduce costs and get reliable supplier performance:
- Consolidate Products. You need to identify and categorize all products purchased. Which products involve recurring purchases and which are one-time buys? Which products are variations (e.g., different brands) of other products and which are unique? Identify commonly purchased products and work with your internal customers to define standard products to reduce costly and confusing variations.
- Consolidate Suppliers. Once you have decided upon standardized products, it should become clear that you don't need to be using all of the dozens, hundreds, or thousands of suppliers you are using. Using proper sourcing practices, reduce the number of suppliers to the minimum you need to provide your consolidated list of items while also having a buffer in your supply base to address the risk of supply disruption.
- Consolidate Ordering Methods. Your consolidated list of products and suppliers will grow out of control again unless you streamline the way that products are purchased. The freedom to buy from local stores, web stores, existing suppliers, former suppliers, etc. only will lead to uncoordinated purchasing. Provide your internal customers with a process where the standardized products and contracted suppliers are part of the first and easiest method of their product research.
This article is based on the whitepaper "5 Ways To Manage IT Spend: Overcoming the Challenges of Managing IT Spend for Savings" from our friends at ePlus Systems, Inc. For your own copy of the ePlus whitepaper, please take their survey at http://tinyurl.com/ae6bxcu and you'll be able to download the whitepaper for free right after the survey!
Do You Want a More Rewarding Procurement Career?
Are you tired of not getting enough opportunities, respect, and money out of your procurement career? Well, guess what? Nothing will change unless you take action towards becoming a world-class procurement professional.
Earning your SPSM® Certification is the action to take if you want to bring the most modern procurement practices into your organization and achieve your career potential. Download the SPSM® Certification Guide today to learn how to get started on your journey to a more rewarding procurement career!
Need Better Performance From Your Procurement Team?
Are you a procurement leader whose team isn't achieving the results you know are possible? Maybe it's not enough cost savings. Or frustrating performance from the supply base. Or dissatisfied internal customers.
You need a performance improvement plan that's easy to implement and quick to produce results. The NLPA can help.
Download our whitepaper "The Procurement Leader's Guide To A More Successful Team." You'll learn the 7 steps for transforming your staff into a results-producing, world-class procurement team.
Are You Getting The Most Out of Your NLPA Membership?
Members of the NLPA get more than just articles like this by email. As a member, you also get access to:
- The Procurement Training & Certification Starter Kit
- The latest Purchasing & Supply Management Salaries Report
- Leading-Edge Supply Management™ magazine
- Members-only webinars 10x per year
- And more!
If you haven't been taking advantage of these benefits, why not log in and start now?
Copyright 2013. This article is the property of Next Level Purchasing and may not be copied or republished in any form without the express written consent of Next Level Purchasing.
Click here to request republishing permission.