A Key To Bargaining With Suppliers
PurchTips edition #258
Can You Overcome Suppliers' Bargaining Tactics?
There are many keys to successfully bargaining with suppliers: preparing thoroughly, learning an arsenal of techniques, being able to think quickly, communicating persuasively, and so forth. One of the most important keys that I'll talk about today is persistence.
Persistence is necessary because suppliers who bargain well wear down their procurement counterparts through these tactics that put buyers' persistence to the test:
- Ignoring. When you bargain for an improvement to pricing or terms, your supplier may behave as if they didn't even hear your request. This is particularly easy for suppliers to do if you try bargaining by email (which I don't recommend for critical negotiations).
- Diverting. When you bargain for a reduction in price, a common supplier tactic is to divert your attention to another business issue. For example, the supplier may say "I can't really discuss price until I understand how the arrangement will work and the value that you are seeking to get out of the arrangement."
- Delaying. When you bargain for an improvement to pricing or terms, a supplier representative will often say "I gave you the best price/terms that I am allowed to give. I'll have to check with senior management to see if we can do any better." Because the supplier creates the impression that nothing further can be accomplished through the conversation, the supplier gets you to stop bargaining in the hopes that you will not ask again before awarding the order or contract.
Suppliers know that weak procurement negotiators only ask for improvements to pricing or terms once and often end up awarding the order or contract to the supplier even if the supplier didn't budge. Prove that you are a strong negotiator. Be persistent. Ask again. And again, if necessary. By showing how important it is to get what you want, you will increase your chances of getting it.
Do You Want a More Rewarding Procurement Career?
Are you tired of not getting enough opportunities, respect, and money out of your procurement career? Well, guess what? Nothing will change unless you take action towards becoming a world-class procurement professional.
Earning your SPSM® Certification is the action to take if you want to bring the most modern procurement practices into your organization and achieve your career potential. Download the SPSM® Certification Guide today to learn how to get started on your journey to a more rewarding procurement career!
Need Better Performance From Your Procurement Team?
Are you a procurement leader whose team isn't achieving the results you know are possible? Maybe it's not enough cost savings. Or frustrating performance from the supply base. Or dissatisfied internal customers.
You need a performance improvement plan that's easy to implement and quick to produce results. The NLPA can help.
Download our whitepaper "The Procurement Leader's Guide To A More Successful Team." You'll learn the 7 steps for transforming your staff into a results-producing, world-class procurement team.
Are You Getting The Most Out of Your NLPA Membership?
Members of the NLPA get more than just articles like this by email. As a member, you also get access to:
- The Procurement Training & Certification Starter Kit
- The latest Purchasing & Supply Management Salaries Report
- Leading-Edge Supply Management™ magazine
- Members-only webinars 10x per year
- And more!
If you haven't been taking advantage of these benefits, why not log in and start now?
Copyright 2012. This article is the property of Next Level Purchasing and may not be copied or republished in any form without the express written consent of Next Level Purchasing.
Click here to request republishing permission.