& Stakeholder Resistance
PurchTips - Edition # 79
By Charles Dominick, C.P.M., SPSM
Will Stakeholders Undermine Your Sourcing Work?
"You can sign a contract with whomever you want. But our division won't use your supplier!"
Have you ever heard this type of statement? Many strategic sourcing leaders have. Their work is a struggle.
As a reaction to resistance, many strategic sourcing leaders seek ways to force business units to support their supplier selections. But the best practice for reducing maverick spending is proactively preventing resistance.
How do you prevent resistance to strategic sourcing initiatives? You have to involve your stakeholders. And their involvement can't be superficial - they must have input into key decisions throughout the sourcing process.
To implement this best practice, simply plan on having stakeholders present when each of the following questions are answered within the sourcing process.
- What are our specifications?
- What are our supplier performance requirements?
- What suppliers are we going to invite to bid?
- How are suppliers differentiated and what is the measurable value of the differences between them?
- What criteria are we going to use to evaluate proposals and suppliers?
- What are the relative weightings of those criteria?
- What hidden and tangential costs may we face that could distort our total cost of
- What costs of poor performance might we incur?
- Who makes the final supplier selection decision?
- What is the process for dealing with poor performance from the selected supplier?
Stakeholder suggestions may not always match the final decisions. These decisions will require collaborative internal negotiation. But using this best practice will help you avoid the "We won't use that supplier!" threat.
Spotlight On Professional Development Opportunities
Are you tired of not getting enough opportunities, respect, and money out of your purchasing career? Well, guess what? Nothing will change unless you take action towards becoming a world-class purchasing professional.
There is an impressive qualification that will set you apart from the average purchaser. It is the Senior Professional in Supply Management (SPSM) Certification. And it is recognized internationally.
Are you ready to take the action necessary to earn more opportunities, more respect, and more money? If so, learn about the SPSM Certification by visiting:
Valuable Purchasing Links!
Share your thoughts on this edition of PurchTips at www.NextLevelPurchasing.com/blog
Since the last edition of PurchTips, at least 1 new job preferring the SPSM Certification have been posted at www.NextLevelPurchasing.com/jobs
If PurchTips and Next Level Purchasing's online classes have helped you, you probably have been spreading the word. Now you can get rewarded for it! If you tell two friends about Next Level Purchasing and they sign up for one or more of our online classes, you get rewarded by becoming a Very Important Purchaser (VIP)!
As a VIP, you'll get some great educational material valued at about $100 (US)! This material includes:
- Interviews with supply management leaders that you can listen to via the Web!
- Our first 50 editions of this newsletter which are only available to VIP's!
- Exclusive access to the online mini-course "Internet Reverse Auctions 101!"
your VIP status, please visit