Your Purchasing Salary: Is It Fair?
PurchTips - Edition # 125 May 1, 2007
By Charles Dominick, SPSM
What Is A Good Salary For A Purchasing Agent?
To verify that a number is reasonable, you need a benchmark for comparison. Determining a benchmark salary is tricky
because purchasing salaries vary due to the position level, the industry, the location of your employment, and your
To provide a good purchasing salary benchmark while addressing each of these variables, I’ll first separate salary statistics into two groups: Purchasing Managers and Purchasing Agents. Within each group, I’ll list average salaries across all industries, in different industries, and in different cities. Finally, I’ll share the premium earned by purchasing professionals with credentials. If you’re not from the USA, use the currency converter at www.xe.com to convert the values to your currency.
Average Purchasing Manager Salaries*
- Across All Industries - $81,440
- Accommodation & Food Services - $62,740
- Health Care & Social Assistance - $71,410
- Manufacturing - $79,830
- Professional, Scientific & Tech. Services - $93,410
- Real Estate Rental & Leasing - $105,800
- In Chicago - $75,750
- In Pittsburgh - $77,050
- In Los Angeles - $84,670
- In New York City - $106,110
Average Purchasing Agent Salaries*
- Across All Industries - $52,560
- Accommodation & Food Services - $40,280
- Health Care & Social Assistance - $42,870
- Manufacturing - $50,510
- Professional, Scientific & Tech. Services - $58,500
- Real Estate Rental & Leasing - $49,630
- In Chicago - $54,880
- In Pittsburgh - $52,070
- In Los Angeles - $53,740
- In New York City - $60,660
In a recent survey of over 1,200 purchasing professionals around the world, it was revealed that purchasing professionals
possessing the SPSM Certification earn an average of $13,634 more than purchasing professionals without the SPSM.
I hope that this article helps you decide what steps are necessary to maximize your salary and that this information helps you begin earning what you deserve!
* Source: U.S. Department of Labor
(keep reading for a FREE Offer)
Spotlight On Professional Development Opportunities
Are you tired of not getting enough opportunities, respect, and money out of your purchasing career? Well, guess what? Nothing will change unless you take action towards becoming a world-class purchasing professional.
Earning your Senior Professional in Supply Management® (SPSM) Certification is the action to take if you want to bring the most modern purchasing practices into your organization and achieve your career potential. Learn how to earn your SPSMSM Certification at:
The Latest Purchasing News
- Considering a career move? Browse over 100 jobs preferring candidates with the SPSM Certification at www.NextLevelPurchasing.com/jobs
Do you want to research the purchasing salary you should be earning? I’ve prepared “The Guide To Benchmarking Your Purchasing Salary” to teach you the techniques I used to research the purchasing salaries listed in this article. And “The Guide” is FREE!