The Purchasing Agent's 10 Commandments
PurchTips - Edition #104 July 11, 2006
By Charles Dominick, SPSM
Are You A Purchasing Agent That Obeys These?
- Thou shalt always make decisions in the best interest of thy employer. Good purchasing agents avoid any real, and even perceived, conflicts of interest.
- Thou shalt always involve thy internal customers throughout the purchasing process. Good purchasing agents never act alone.
- Thou shalt never make price the only criterion in a purchasing decision. Good purchasing agents take quality, delivery, and other criteria into consideration also.
- Thou shalt measure thy performance and communicate thy performance to management. Good purchasing agents know and show their value.
- Thou shalt treat suppliers fairly. Good purchasing agents don’t attempt to take advantage of suppliers’ mistakes nor trick them to accept unfavorable terms.
- Thou shalt embrace change and new technologies rather than resist them.
- Thou shalt negotiate with the understanding that there may some day need to be a close relationship with the supplier across the table.
- Thou shalt realize that it is a global economy and never make assumptions that thou knowest every supplier available.
- Thou shalt acknowledge that thy manager’s job is to develop and implement a strategy for the department and, therefore, thou shalt challenge thyself to solve problems independently rather than involve thy manager in tactical crises that can reasonably be resolved at the purchasing agent level.
- Thou shalt commit to continuous improvement of thy skills, never letting a year go by without learning new practices used by other purchasing agents.
- Thou shalt always exceed expectations, consistently delivering more than anticipated. Good purchasing agents also fulfill obligations sooner than expected.
(Keep reading for a FREE Offer)
Spotlight On Professional Development Opportunities
Purchasing agents from over 50 countries around the world have realized the same thing.
What they have realized is that earning the Senior Professional in Supply ManagementSM
(SPSM) Certification is the way to achieve a more rewarding purchasing career.
And there is no better time than now to enroll in the SPSM CertificationSM Program. Next Level Purchasing has recently become an official Educational Partner of the National Contract Management Association (NCMA).
To celebrate this, we are giving away a FREE one-year NCMA membership (which includes a subscription to Contract Management Magazine) to the next five people who enroll in the SPSM Certification Program after the July 11 publication of this edition of PurchTips. To learn more about beginning the pursuit of your SPSMSM, please visit:
The Latest Purchasing News!
- Purchasing Managers: Are you struggling to improve your staff’s performance? Wish planning how to improve didn’t drain your time? We’ve introduced new services just for you. Read more at: www.NextLevelPurchasing.com/manage
- Are you considering a career move? There are over 75 purchasing jobs preferring candidates with the SPSM Certification posted at www.NextLevelPurchasing.com/jobs
If you have enrolled in one of our full-length classes costing $200 or the SPSM Certification Program, you are eligible to reap the benefits of the Very Important Purchasers (VIP) Program.