Procurement Interviews: Questions & Stories
PurchTips - Edition # 262
By Charles Dominick, SPSM, SPSM2
How Will You Ace Your Next Procurement Interview
When you get an interview for a procurement job, what you say to the hiring manager determines whether you will get the job or not. Therefore, you should prepare to align your dialogue with what you want to accomplish in the interview.
What you want to accomplish includes demonstrating: (a) that you can handle the challenges of the workplace, (b) that you are smart enough for the job, and (c) that you will care about making a positive difference if you are hired. Two of the most effective ways to demonstrate these things are to tell real-life success stories of yours and to ask thoughtful questions.
For your success stories, prepare them in advance and use them in the context of the conversation. For example, if the hiring manager says "Tell me about a time when you succeeded in bringing a difficult negotiation to a positive conclusion," you can tell a true success story of yours on that topic. The keys are to anticipate what topics will come up and, if and when they do, to have several stories ready in your mind.
Other topics for success stories can include examples of:
- How you dealt with a supplier who said a critical shipment would be late
- How you satisfied an irate internal customer
- How you took initiative to improve your skills
Questions you may want to consider asking the hiring manager include:
- How would my performance be measured?
- What skills do you need the successful candidate to have?
- What are your biggest challenges in the department?
- By hiring the right person for this position, what results would really make you happy?
- How do you think that members of the department describe the work environment here?
- What type of person would fit in best with the culture of the department?
By using success stories and good questions, you can increase your chances of acing your interview and getting a better procurement job!
(keep reading for a FREE Offer)
Spotlight On Professional Development Opportunities
Are you tired of not getting enough opportunities, respect, and money out of your purchasing career? Well, guess what? Nothing will change unless you take action towards becoming a world-class purchasing professional.
You see, today's employers refuse to reward employees for yesterday's skills. They demand that purchasing professionals like you use the most modern skills and achieve unprecedented results. They want you to save more money, achieve better operational performance, and reduce risk.
Earning your SPSM® Certification by completing the Senior Professional in Supply Management® Program is the action to take if you want to bring the most modern purchasing practices into your organization and achieve your career potential. Learn how to earn your SPSM® Certification (with the option of getting a Study Guide on a brand new iPad or an iPod Touch) at:
The Latest Purchasing News
- Learn how to beat our October 1, 2012 price increase. Read more at:www.NextLevelPurchasing.com/price
- Purchasing Managers/Directors: Are you struggling to develop a plan for improving your team's performance? If so, visit: www.NextLevelPurchasing.com/benchmark
- Considering a career move? Browse jobs preferring candidates with the SPSM® Certification at: www.NextLevelPurchasing.com/jobs
Are you a procurement leader struggling to quantify your department's impact on corporate success? The FREE whitepaper "Procurement Skills & Profit: The Correlation" can help you!
"Procurement Skills & Profit: The Correlation,"Visit
Copyright 2012. This article is the property of Next Level Purchasing and may not be copied or republished in any form without the express written consent of Next Level Purchasing. Click here to request republishing permission.