Global Strategic Sourcing Tools
By Charles Dominick, SPSM, SPSM2, SPSM3
Is Your Global Strategic Sourcing Toolbox Stocked?
Because of the differences between domestic and global strategic sourcing, you need the right skills, knowledge, and tools to successfully source globally. Here are five of the most important global strategic sourcing tools.
- A Business Case. Many company executives need to be convinced that global strategic sourcing is a smart move. A business case documenting the researched savings potential is a tool for convincing them. "Let's say that you get an answer of $30,000 savings," says Dick Locke, author of the book Global Supply Management. "Is that something your company can afford to walk away from?" Only after management reviews a well-written business case can that type of question be answered.
- Cultural Research. Learning about your suppliers' culture is critical for global strategic sourcing success for two reasons in Locke's opinion. "One is that, if you have misunderstandings, they can get in the way of closing deals," he says. "The second reason is that, if you understand cultural differences, you might be able to be more demanding of a supplier in another country than you would be in your own country."
- A Landed Cost Model. In global strategic sourcing, there are more cost components compared to domestic sourcing. A landed cost model helps you include global sourcing cost components such as multi-modal freight, duties, customs fees, and more into your analysis.
- An INCOTERMS Chart. INCOTERMS "define the responsibility for the buyer and seller in terms of handling and paying for customs and shipping," according to Locke. "They also define where the risk of loss transfers between the seller and the buyer." There are 13 INCOTERMS which differ from the F.O.B. terms used domestically in the USA.
- A Transportation Time Chart. The proximity of suppliers influences transportation times, which influences your inventory strategy. Always know your transportation times.
(keep reading for a FREE Offer)
Spotlight On Professional Development Opportunities
Global sourcing may be one of the most complex activities you'll encounter as a purchasing professional. Despite its challenges, purchasing professionals do succeed at global sourcing when they know all of the detailed tactics involved. Our new online course "Executing A Global Sourcing Strategy" will teach you how to take global sourcing from a concept to a successful reality!
Learn more about "Executing A Global Sourcing Strategy" at:
The Latest Purchasing News!
- Purchasing Managers/Directors: Are you struggling to develop a plan
for improving your team's performance? If so, visit:
- Are you struggling to develop a plan for improving your team's
performance? If so, visit:
- Purchasing Managers/Directors: Are you struggling to develop
a plan for improving your team's performance? If so, visit:
- Procurement Managers/Directors: The year's almost half over. How's your team
development plan going? If not well (or not even developed yet), the NLPA may be able to help.
Learn more at:
- Purchasing Managers/Directors: Are you tired of having an underperforming team
and no plan to fix it? If so, we have good news for you! You may qualify for a free service that
hundreds of leading companies have used to benchmark, plan, and drive positive change. To learn more, visit:
- Do you supervise a purchasing team? If so, learn about a FREE service
that may be just for you at:
- Do you supervise other purchasers? We have a service just for you.
Read more at www.NextLevelPurchasing.com/manage
- Purchasing Managers: Does your team struggle to solve new problems,
overcome challenges, and identify ways to improve supply management performance? If so, visit:
- The NLPA recently announced the launch of the Strategic Procurement &
Supply Management Body of Knowledge®
- On social media? Share our new SPSM-BOK memes:
- The 2014 NLPA Conference was a tremendous success! Check out
photos on our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/NextLevelPurchasing
- Our friends at Vantage Partners are conducting a supplier relationship
research study and invite you to take a brief survey. By doing so, you'll get a findings report
and other related articles. Start at:https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NLPASRM
- Learn how to beat our October 1, 2012 price increase. Read more at
- Looking to add to your collection of great purchasing education material?
Check out my podcast interview with Jason Busch!! You can download it for free at:
- Discuss today's topic on our LinkedIn SPSM Group! Visit
- Not a member of the LinkedIn SPSM Group? Learn how to join at:
- Chat with
other NLPA members! Log in at
- Chat with other purchasing professionals in the Next Level Purchasing Association's
Networking area. Log in at: www.NextLevelPurchasing.com/login.html
- Considering a career move? Browse over 80 jobs preferring candidates with the SPSM® Certification at:
- Purchasing Managers/Directors: Know the value of a certified team and want to
learn how to make it a reality? Download our "Executive's Guide to the SPSM Certification" at
Want to learn more about today's topic? Then check out my podcast interview
with Bill Dorn! Podcasts are audio files that you can listen to
on your PC, download to your iPod/MP3 player, or burn to CD.
Our Purchasing & Supply Management Podcast SeriesSM
is a new way for us to help you succeed!
It's absolutely FREE to download the audio. Add it to
your collection of great purchasing learning material!
Copyright 2008. This article is the property of Next Level Purchasing
and may not be copied or republished in any form without the express written consent of Next Level Purchasing.
Click here to request
Free Procurement Training & Certification Starter Kit
This Starter Kit gives procurement professionals like you a clear idea on what it will take
to become certified. You'll get an excellent feel for what you will need to learn and
how long it will take.
Click here to learn more
Included in your free Starter Kit:
- Access to two lessons from courses that are part of the Senior Professional in
Supply Management® Program
- A Certification & Training Planning Template
- Case studies
- A free Basic Membership in the NLPA
Together, these materials will help you decide how well the SPSM® Certification can help you achieve your career goals.
So, what are you waiting for? Begin your pursuit of a more rewarding procurement
career get your Procurement Training & Certification Starter Kit now by signing up
for a free NLPA Basic Membership!
If you are already a member of the NLPA, click here to login
and visit the "Starter Kit" tab to access these resources.